Pages

Thursday 17 October 2013

Slowing Down and Speeding Up Again

I figure I should display the nice logo Owen made in at least one of these posts...

It would appear that I paint in fits and spurts. This is quite different to how i used to paint, where I would constantly be working away an hour or two at a time and just grind things out. Each day I would paint a little bit more and eventually things would be finished. Maybe that was a legacy of being a student living with my parents and not really having that much to do.

Things have changed, I have to pay rent for my apartment so have to work more, and I'm still studying. Duelling Paintbrushes has also come in the middle of crunch time for uni, which has been a pain. I thought this week would be my week to do lots, but I ended up at work when I would otherwise have been painting as things got a bit busy there. I had a day off today and spent almost the whole day painting.

About an hour ago I despaired at my lack of progress. The Stegadon hasn't really gone anywhere, the Cold One rider is mostly painted but just looks way less significant compared to the other two beasties, and I wasn't happy at all with how things were going on the Bastiladon.

All I did on this guy today was the grey on his howdah, as well as a little bit of the first scale layer.

I ended up scrapping the technique I was using for the scales on his back, and tried something new. I sort of half drybrushed half dabbed paint onto each scale individually, which made for a much more gradual highlight than the way i'd been doing it initially. This looks *way* better than the other way of doing it, and is actually way quicker as well. Within about 20 minutes i'd finished the scales on the Bastiladon, and then got a bit more work done on the Scar Veteran as well! Now I am feeling much better about my progress, and hopeful that I might even finish my 1000 points worth of stuff before the deadline.
I'm still not sure how to do the massive club at the end of the tail...
I did get a little bit of progress done last week as well, which means the cohort of skinks with the Kroxigor is practically finished. They are all packed up in a case at the moment, so no picture of them yet. As mentioned the Scar Veteran on Cold One is almost finished, pretty much all the basecoating has been done and he just needs a bunch of highlighting. The blue scales are done though, and that is the most time intensive part of all the models.

Quite clearly the grey and gold need to be highlighted...

All three of the beasties together in one picture. Funnily enough the Scar Vet is probably the scariest of the lot despite being by far the smallest...
The one thing that will stand between me and completion is the bases on the models. I have some ambitious plans for basing this army that involve water effects and the like, which is going to be difficult to achieve in the remaining time. Might have to work out an interim solution, see how we go...

1 comment:

  1. With that colour scheme they're looking like they're be striking models, I'm just glad you've only got 2 units of Skink Skirmishers. Just remember there's 23 use-able hours in every day times that by 10 and your laughing (maybe from sleep deprivation). I'd be interested in seeing what these amphibious plans are for the basing.

    ReplyDelete